Wednesday, 6 October 2010

And smile


First attendance at Freshers' Fair since I arrived at Cambridge, and I had the chance to get some freebies, including pizza although by no stretch of the imagination, despite dying my hair, can I be mistaken for 18. The Neon Librarian has blogged on the first day of Successful Library Promotion at the Freshers’ Fair, I think that Wednesday was probably quieter, certainly in the morning.
There was some initial confusion when a group of foreign language students confused the Central (Public) Library with libraries@cambridge, but some of them were pleased to learn of the internet terminals available in Lion Yard and that the County's catalogues are also available online. Many attendees are of course not Freshers, I was glad to see several from College who remembered that I had gone off sailing, and realised that librarians have lives.
Those librarians on the libraries@cambridge stall who had delivered induction courses had the advantage in spotting "their" students and being greeted with a smile.
The set was super, a cosy book lined study, (photo of Helen) with a banner and plenty of cards to dish out with the
libraries@cambridge link www.cam.ac.uk/libraries. Sarah's photos on flickr feature the cards on other stalls which should go a long way in raising the profile of both societies and libraries.
A few people had questions but if they register that library staff are friendly and approachable the two days will be worth it. Would I do it again? If I stayed up to date yes, but was flummoxed by one question on the number of books a first year could take out from the UL (5 for 2 weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment