Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Library use of facebook

A year or so ago I created a College Library facebook page loaded some interesting images of the older and newer library and put useful links on it to COPAC, the library OPAC and JSTOR. Eight or so librarians became fans plus a few randoms with no Cambridge connection and then Facebook had one of its revamps, the carefully designed pages were split over several tabs and advertising appeared down one side. No College students were fans so I took the page down.

For several years however, I became a fan or liked the Freshers page and shortly before the beginning of Michaelmas term posted a reminder about Library tours to the wall, or to a discussion. Don't think it had much impact but I did get an invite to an 18th birthday party. Think I was washing my hair that day.

There are various facebook groups which might be of interest for networking or professional development but in general the activity in them is slight. I use Facebook to stay in touch with family and friends and share photographs and apart from Scrabble have resisted the lure of the various games on offer. If students want to befriend me that is fine, but each summer I weed my friends list. Facebook offers a means of staying in touch, offering support, organising social activities and establishing an online persona distinct from that portrayed in the office at home. It's fun, and we all need that, but perhaps it is not worth the time needed to maintain and update an institutional page when websites, emails, camtools etc are already used.

No comments:

Post a Comment